Harrod's Christmas Pudding Recipe
Special Equipment: Pudding mold
Instructions:1. Thickly butter and dust with flour two 1-quart molds (or dome-shaped china, ceramic or glass bowls). Set aside.
2. Beat the 1/2 lb butter until soft.
3. Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
4. Gradually beat in the eggs and syrup.
5. Sift flour with salt and spices; fold into the butter mixture with the lemon juice, grated rinds, bread crumbs, fruits, mixed peel and brandy.
6. Spoon mixture into the 2 prepared molds.
7. If molds don't have lids, cover each with a circle of waxed paper, then a piece of foil pleated across the center and securely tied in place.
8. Leave overnight in refrigerator.
9. Put molds in a large saucepan with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the molds.
10. Cover and steam for 5 hours; remove from the water.
11. Let cool completely, then cover with a clean piece of waxed paper and a pudding cloth (muslin or closely woven cheesecloth) secured with a string and ends of the cloth tied in a knot over the pudding mold.
12. Leave in the refrigerator to mature before using.
13. Before serving, steam about 3 hours.
14. Remove from mold.
15. Bring to the table blazing in ignited brandy, and bedight with Christmas holly stuck into the top.