Dark Fruitcake Recipe
Instructions:1. On the day before, combine all dried fruits, nuts and zest in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the candied ginger and the spices and toss well to mix.
3. Add molasses and liquids and mix well.
4. Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 275F.
6. Grease 4 9x5x3-inch loaf pans, line them with waxed paper and grease the paper.
7. Coat lightly with flour.
8. Sprinkle 1 cup flour over fruit mixture and stir it.
9. Combine the remaining 3 cups of flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt and sift them together on a sheet of waxed paper.
10. Cream the butter, add the brown sugar and beat well.
11. Add eggs, 2 at a time, beating well after each addition.
12. Add the vanilla.
13. Add all dry ingredients and beat until batter is blended and smooth.
14. Pour batter over fruit, mix well until everything is coated with batter.
15. Divide batter among loaf pans, filling to 1/2 inch below top.
16. Bake for 2 hours. Don't worry if the cakes crack on top.
17. Cakes are done when a straw inserted in the center comes out clean.