Nicky's Favourite Shortbread Recipe
Instructions:1. Cream butter and sugar together until silky.
2. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix until blended, but just.
3. Turn out on a lightly floured pastry cloth, and with lightly floured hands, gather into one lump (this may appear sloppy and maybe hopeless. As in pastry, you will go wrong if you are too heavy handed or afraid of it).
4. Toss it just a bit to get it to lump and pat out into a square about 1/3 inch thick; square off your edges with a large knife or spatula, smooth with a stocking rolling pin and cut into 1-inch squares.
5. Place slightly apart on ungreased cookie sheet with a sliver of cherry on each.
6. Bake at 350 F for 15 to 18 minutes. They should be just pale brown on bottom (careful, they burn very easily).
7. Remove gently; place to cool on trays covered with waxed paper.
8. Store in cans.