Cherry Filling for Pierogies/Pirogi Recipe - Printable Version Makes 40 pierogi/pirogi
- 4 1/2 cups dark sweet cherries red tart cherries
- 1 tsp lemon juice if sweet or sugar to taste if tart
1. Wash, drain and pit cherries.
2. Lightly press cherries in a strainer or colander to remove some juice.
3. Place cherries in a medium bowl.
4. If sweet cherries are used, sprinkle with lemon juice.
5. If tart cherries are used, add sugar.
6. Fill pierogi shells and process immediately, before juice is drawn out of fruit.
7. Makes about 4 cups or enough to fill 40 to 45 pierogies.