Applesauce-Blueberry Muffins Recipe
Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat a regular 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a small bowl, mix the berries, milk, applesauce, bran flake cereal, and egg whites (if using frozen berries, thaw them until you can separate them with a fork; a microwave will do this nicely. Then allow any melted ice and juice to drip off).
4. Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until the dry ingredients are just moistened, about 20 strokes.
5. Overmixing will result in poor-textured, tough bread.
6. Spoon the batter into the sprayed muffin tin, dividing it evenly among the 12 cups.
7. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until the muffins are browned, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
8. Allow the muffins to sit for about 2 minutes in the tin, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool, or place them in a cloth-lined basket, covering the muffins with the edges of the napkin, and serve them warm.
9. Original recipe used 2 egg whites instead of the egg beaters.