Basic Muffins and Variations Recipe
Instructions:1. Grease 12 2 1/2-inch muffin cups. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sift Flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Stir to mix well.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg with a fork.
4. Add milk and oil.
5. Add all at once to dry ingredients.
6. Stir mixture only until dry ingredients are moistened. Batter will be lumpy.
7. Drop batter from a tablespoon into prepared muffins pans, filling each cup half to two-thirds full.
8. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. Remove from pan and serve hot with butter, jam or marmalade.
Add 1/2 cup finely diced candied ginger to flour mixture before adding liquid.
1. Prepare muffin batter but use only 1/2 cup milk.
2. Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg to sifted flour.
3. Add 1 cup mashed, peeled banana with the egg, milk and oil.
Toss 1 cup washed and well-drained fresh or frozen blueberries with sifted flour mixture before adding liquid.
1. Cut 2 peeled navel oranges into sections.
2. When batter is in the cups, place an orange section on top of each and sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
1. Fold 1/2 cup grated sharp yellow cheese into muffin mix with the last few strokes on batter.
2. Serve hot with scrambled eggs and bacon for a special breakfast.
1. Fill muffin cups 1/3rd full of batter.
2. Drop 1/2 tsp of your favorite jelly in center of batter.
3. Add batter to fill cup 2/3rds full.
4. Kids just love these as you will.
1. Add 1 cup shredded coconut with the last few strokes of mixing.
2. For a snack have coconut muffins, butter and milk.
1. Fold 1/4 cup chives into the batter during the last few strokes and serve at dinner.
2. Great with a steak and salad.