Basic Fruit Rum Pot Recipe
Instructions:1. Sprinkle strawberries with 1 1/2 cup sugar.
2. Cover, and let stand 30 minutes.
3. Place in the rum pot and pour in enough rum to cover the fruit by about two finger-widths.
4. Cover the pot with plastic wrap, and put on the lid.
5. Place in a cool room, and stir the fruit gently every two or three days.
6. Starting with the gooseberries, or as the fruits ripen, add the remaining fruits in layers. Mix 1 cup of fruit with 1/2 cup of the sugar before adding it to the pot, and each time add enough rum to cover the fruit by two finger-widths.
7. After the first two weeks, you will only need to shake or stir the pot every two weeks. Always make sure that the top layer of fruit is covered by two finger-widths of rum.
8. At the end of October or the beginning of November, add another cup of rum to the pot.
9. By the beginning of December, the fruit will be ready to eat.