Banana-Strawberry Belgian Waffles Recipe
Belgian waffles are a mainstay at Midwest brunches. Here's our delicious version, topped with ice cream and a warm fruit and pecan sauce.
Instructions:1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and malted-milk powder.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks.
3. Beat in the milk and cooking oil or shortening.
4. Add to the flour mixture all at once, stirring till blended but still slightly lumpy.
5. In a small mixer bowl, beat egg whites till stiff peaks form.
6. Gently fold whites into the egg-flour mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white. Do not overmix.
7. Bake waffles in Belgian waffle-maker or regular waffle-maker according to manufacturer's directions. For a quick variation, sprinkle each waffle with 1 tbsp chopped nuts; crumbled, crisp-cooked bacon; or chopped granola before closing iron.
8. Prepare Fruit-Pecan Sauce (see recipe below).
9. Serve waffles topped with ice cream and warm Fruit-Pecan Sauce. (To keep waffles hot for serving, place in a single layer on a wire rack on a baking sheet in a warm oven.)
1. Peel bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into thirds.
2. Brush with lemon juice.
3. Halve the strawberries.
4. In a large skillet, heat brown sugar and butter or margarine over medium heat till the mixture melts, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the bananas and strawberries; cook, uncovered, till bananas are heated through, turning once.
6. Stir in rum or orange juice, then the pecans.