Rugelach with Fruit Jam Recipe
Instructions:1. Combine the butter and cream cheese, and beat until well mixed.
2. Add the flour and salt, and mix until completely blended.
3. The dough will be easier to handle if you wrap & chill it for about an hour.
4. Stir together 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
5. Add the raisins and walnuts, and toss to coat all the pieces.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and get out some cookie sheets.
7. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts.
8. Keep chilled any dough you are not working on.
9. Roll 1 of the pieces into an 8″ circle.
10. Spread with 2 tbsp jam and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of the sugar-raisin-nut mixture.
11. Cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges.
12. Beginning at the wide end, roll toward the point, and form a crescent shape.
13. Roll out and form the remaining dough in the same way.
14. Place the cookies, point side down, about 1″ apart on the ungreased cookie sheets.
15. Mix together the egg yolk and water, and brush over the top of each cookie.
16. Sprinkle each cookie with a little of the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
17. Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
18. Remove from oven and transfer to racks to cool.