Wormy Baked Apples Recipe - Printable Version Serves 6
- 6 large golden apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 wiggly candy worms (gummy worms)
- 1 cup whipping cream (optional)
1. Core apples from blossom ends, leaving stem ends intact.
2. Mix raisins and walnuts and stuff into cavities of cored apples.
3. Set apples, stems up in a 7 x 12-inch pan.
4. In a 1 to 2 quart pan, mix brown sugar, water, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir over high heat until mixture boils.
5. Pour hot syrup around apples.
6. Bake, uncovered, in 350 F oven, basting occasionally with syrup, until apples are tender when pierced and skin begins to crack, 30 to 35 minutes.
7. Remove apples from oven; cool in pan for at least 10 minutes or let cool to room temperature.
8. Set each apple in a small bowl and spoon syrup around fruit.
9. In the top of each apple, cut a hole large enough for one of the candy worms and tuck one end into each apple, leaving most of the worm dangling.
10. Offer cream to pour over apples.