Topsy-Turvey Apple Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 1/4 cup pecan or walnut halves
- Crust for 2-crust pie
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cups sliced apples
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. In a 9-inch pie pan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup and melted butter and spread evenly over the bottom of the pan.
2. Arrange pecan or walnut halves over the mixture.
3. Set aside.
4. Make your favorite pie crust.
5. Take the bottom crust and put it over the mixture in the pie pan.
6. Preheat oven to 425 F.
7. In a small bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, nutmeg, flour and cinnamon; mix well.
8. Arrange the apple/sugar mixture over the bottom crust of the pie.
9. Top with the top crust.
10. Seal and flute.
11. Cut slits in several places.
12. Bake at 425 F for 8 minutes, and then reduce heat and continue to bake at 375 F for 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown. It would be wise to place pie on a cookie sheet covered with foil, as it will run over.
13. While pie is baking, prepare a glaze of 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and enough milk to make into a glaze. This will be used on the top of the pie when removed from the oven and still hot.
14. Remove pie from oven; loosen edge of pie.
15. Cover top of pie with glaze.
16. While still hot, carefully invert pie onto large serving plate.
17. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream.