Indian Apple Chutney Recipe
Instructions:1. Peel, core and coarsely chop apples.
2. Put apples, onions, garlic and raisins into a saucepan.
3. Add salt, sugar, vinegar and spices and mix well.
4. Heat gently, stirring to dissolve sugar.
5. Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in tomato paste and continue cooking 7-8 minutes longer or until mixture is of a thick consistency with very little free liquid, stirring frequently.
7. Meanwhile, wash 3 pint jars in hot soapy water; rinse.
8. Keep hot until needed.
9. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs.
10. Ladle chutney into 1 hot jar at a time, leaving 1/4" headspace.
11. Release trapped air.
12. Wipe rim of jar with a clean damp cloth.
13. Attach lid and place in canner.
14. Fill and close remaining jars.
15. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
16. This chutney improves if stored at least 3 weeks before serving. Garnish with an Italian parsley sprig, if desired, and serve as an accompaniment to curries or with crusty bread and cheese.