Applescotch Pie Recipe
I've found that with ANY recipe calling for tart apples, you get more flavor by mixing the types of apples. As we have an abundance of varied apples, Fuji's, Granny Smith and Gala's... they all vary in flavor, texture, etc. Experiment with your favorite.
Instructions:1. Mix together the apples, brown sugar water and lemon juice in a 2-quart saucepan.
2. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
3. Cover and simmer 7-8 minutes or JUST until apples are tender.
4. Mix together the flour, granulated sugar and salt; stir into apple mixture.
5. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
6. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
7. Stir in the vanilla and butter or margarine; cool.
8. Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
9. Prepare pastry (or use store-bought).
10. Turn apple mixture into pastry-lined pie plate.
11. Cover with top crust in which you've cut slits; flute the edges.
12. Cover edge of pie crust with foil (or cut out an aluminum pan--keeping just the edge) to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.
13. Bake 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.