Applejack Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 24
- 8 cup flour
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup water
- 25 apples, tart, peeled, sliced
- 3 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup 10x sugar
- 2 tbsp light cream
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix flour and salt in large mixing bowl.
3. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until particles are pea-sized.
4. Sprinkle with milk, a little at a time, mixing with fork until all flour is moistened.
5. Gather dough together and press firmly into a ball.
6. Roll out half dough to fit bottom of 12x18 pan, allowing for sides.
7. Mix all filling ingredients together and pour into pastry shell.
8. Roll out remaining dough, cut air vents, and place on tip.
9. Crimp bottom and top crusts together and bake for 50 minutes.
10. If crust is browning too fast and apples aren't cooked, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking until done.
11. Cool about 15 minutes and then glaze.
12. Make glaze by mixing ingredients thoroughly, adding just enough cream to make thin frosting.
13. Drizzle over warm applejack.