Apple Strudel Recipe
Instructions:Making the Dough:
1. Place flour in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the center and add the rest of the ingredients.
3. Stir with a spoon or fork then with your hands kneading and adding more flour.
4. Knead about 10 minutes or more. It will stick to your hands and to the board, but keep kneading and adding very little flour. You should have a soft and elastic dough.
5. Place in a bowl, brush with 1 tbsp oil, cover and let rest in a warm place at nearly room temperature, for 1 hour.
7. Divide dough into 4 balls.
8. Place a small tablecloth on a 24″ by 16″ (measures are approximate, you can use a smaller board) raised board or table.
9. Sprinkle it with flour.
10. Meanwhile roll out dough on a floured board, as thin as possible with a rolling pin, then lift it with your hands and using your floured knuckles, start pulling underneath the dough closer to the edges, turning it as you go. The weight will help stretch the dough.
11. Carefully transfer it to the prepared board (the one with the floured cloth).
12. Slowly and delicately pull the dough toward the edges of the board and down around the board. If some holes start showing, press them together. If the holes are small don't worry, they won't show in the end, but stop stretching.
13. Place filling along longer edge of dough, about 1 1/2″ away from edge.
14. Brush dough with oil, sprinkle bread crumbs and holding one side of the cloth roll up dough.
15. If making sweet strudel, sprinkle sugar and cinnamon as well.
Making the Filling: 1. Place apples in a row at one end of stretched dough.
2. Top it with walnuts, raisins, sugar and cinnamon.
3. Brush all dough surface with oil.
4. Sprinkle surface with sugar, cinnamon, and breadcrumbs.
5. Roll dough with the help of kitchen towel underneath it.
6. Transfer roll to an oiled cookie sheet, make slits at 3-inch intervals.
7. Baste with oil.
8. Bake or 1 hour in 300 F oven.
9. Remove from oven and move strudel so it doesn't stick. Sprinkle confectioners' sugar on top.