Apple Shoofly Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- Crumb Mixture:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp ginger, ground
- 1/4 tsp cloves, ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup water, boiling
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 large Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored/coarsely chopped
- 1 9" deep-dish pie shell, unbaked
1. To prepare crumb mixture: Process butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. To make filling: Dissolve molasses in boiling water in a large bowl.
3. Stir in baking soda.
4. Add about 2/3 of the crumb mixture and all of the chopped apples, and mix until crumbs are moistened.
5. Spoon into pie shell.
6. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top.
7. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven until filling is set, about 40 minutes.