Apple Pie with Port and Cheddar Cheese Crust Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 2/3 cup port
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 lemon (grated peel only)
- 8 medium cooking apples, peeled, and sliced
- 2 cup sifted flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 5 tbsp cold water (or more)
1. Combine sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan.
2. Stir in apple juice, port, butter and lemon peel.
3. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils.
4. Add apples and cook gently until barely tender.
5. To make Cheddar Cheese crust, mix flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
6. Stir in cheese.
7. Add water gradually and mix lightly with fork to form dough.
8. Divide pastry in halves and roll out one half to fit 9-inch pie pan.
9. Roll second half of pastry and cut into 10 (1/2-inch) strips.
10. Spoon filling into pastry-lined pan.
11. Weave pastry strips across filling to make lattice top.
12. Bake at 375F for 30 to 45 minutes, or until done.
13. Serve warm.