Apple Date Strudel Recipe - Printable Version Serves 12
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp double acting baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Butter or margarine
- About 3/4 cup zwieback crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 cups cooking apples
- 8 oz pitted dates, finely snipped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Sift first 3 ingredients into bowl.
2. Add egg and 1/4 cup butter, melted.
3. Add 1/2 cup ice water.
4. Stir until blended, then knead to smooth ball on lightly floured board.
5. Cover with towel and let rest for at least 1/2 hour.
6. Saute crumbs in 2 tbsp butter until lightly toasted, add nuts and set aside.
7. Peel and core apples, cut into wedges, then into thin crosswise slices.
8. Mix with next 4 ingredients.
9. On lightly floured board, roll dough to a 24 x 16-inch rectangle.
10. Brush with 2 tbsp butter, melted.
11. Sprinkle with crumb mixture to within 1 inch of edges.
12. Spread evenly with apple mixture.
13. Roll from long side as for jelly roll and seal ends.
14. Shape into horseshoe and put seam down, on greased baking sheet.
15. Melt 1/4 cup butter and brush some on strudel.
16. Bake in 400 F for about 40 minutes.
17. Brush occasionally with remaining butter.
18. Serve warm in slices.