Apple Crunch Muffins Recipe - Printable Version Makes 4 dozen muffins
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup tart cooking apples, washed and cored
Nut Crunch Topping:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Shred the unpeeled apples for recipe.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into mixing bowl.
3. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until fine crumbs form.
4. Combine egg and milk.
5. Add to dry ingredinets all at once, stirring just enough to moisten.
6. Stir in apples.
7. Spoon batter into paper-lined 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups, filling 2/3rds full.
8. To make Nut Crunch Topping, mix together brown sugar, chopped pecans and cinnamon in small bowl.
9. Bake in 375 degree oven 25 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Serve hot with butter and homemade jelly or jam.