Apple Crunch Muffins Recipe - Printable Version Makes 18 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup tart apples, washed and cored, shredded
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Nut Crunch topping
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into mixing bowl.
2. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until fine crumbs form.
3. Combine egg and milk.
4. Add to dry ingredinets all at once, stirring just enough to moisten.
5. Stir in apples.
6. Spoon batter into paper-lined 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups, filling 2/3 full.
7. Sprinkle with Nut Crunch topping.
8. Bake in 375 F oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Serve hot with butter and homemade jelly or jam.
Nut Crunch topping:
Mix together 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup chopped pecans and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon in small bowl.