Apple and Oat Bran Muffins Recipe - Printable Version Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup shredded, peeled apple
1. In a medium bowl stir together flour, oat bran, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
2. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl combine buttermilk, egg whites, and oil, Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
4. Stir in shredded apple.
5. Store batter, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
6. To bake, spray muffin cups with non-stick spray coating.
7. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup.
8. Bake in a 375 F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.