Apple-Carrot Muffins Recipe - Printable Version Makes 18 muffins
- 1 large granny smith apple
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 2/3 cup dark or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup grape nuts cereal
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray nine regular-sized muffin cups with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
3. Cut the apple into quarters and remove the core.
4. Coarsely grate the apple and carrots, either by hand or with a food processor.
5. Combine with the lightly beaten egg whites, oil, applesauce, brown sugar and vanilla.
6. Sift together the flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
7. Stir into the moist ingredients.
8. Add the oatmeal, raisins and cereal.
9. Spoon in the prepared muffin tins, filling to the top.
10. Bake 30 minutes, until the muffins test clean.
11. Cool a few minutes in the pan before unmolding onto a cooling rack.