Amish Apple Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 large apples (4 cups)
- 1 unbaked 10" pie shell
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping)
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. In a food processor bowl, mix the first 6 ingredients for streusel together.
2. Add the butter, and process until mixture is crumbly; it should still have a dry look, don't overprocess.
3. Add nuts, and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples (should be about 4 cups).
6. Place apples in pie shell.
7. In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour and cinnamon.
8. Beat the egg in a medium bowl, and add the cream and vanilla.
9. Add the sugar mixture to the egg mixture, and blend.
10. Pour over the apples.
11. Bake for 1 hour in the lower third of oven.
12. After 20 minutes, sprinkle streusel over top.
13. Continue baking about 40 minutes longer, or until the top puffs, and is golden brown.