American Apple Pie Recipe
Per Serving: 536 calories; 32 grams fat; 54% fat.
Instructions:Crust: 1. Sift together flour and salt in bowl of mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
2. Add shortening and beat on low speed until mixture is consistency of fine cornmeal.
3. Whisk together milk and egg in small bowl and pour into flour mixture.
4. Increase speed to medium and beat until dough forms ball and pulls away from sides of bowl.
5. Divide dough into 3 equal portions.
6. Flatten into disks and wrap separately in plastic wrap.
7. Refrigerate 2 portions at least 20 minutes or up to 1 day.
8. Cover and refrigerate third portion for another purpose 2 days or freeze up to 1 month.
9. On heavily floured surface, roll out 1 portion of dough into 1/8" thick round about 2" larger in diameter than 9" or 10" pie plate.
10. Drape dough over rolling pin and carefully transfer to pie plate. Press in gently.
11. Trim dough so hangs about 1/2" over edge. Fold overhang under and press against rim.
12. Brush bottom and sides of crust with melted butter. Set aside.
13. Toss together apples, sugar and flour in large bowl.
14. Add vanilla and half and half. Mix well.
15. Spoon filling into prepared crust.
16. Roll out second dough portion into round of about same size and thickness.
17. Using sharp knife, cut into strips 1/2" to 3/4" wide for lattice top.
18. Pick up 2 longest strips at center of round and cross over center of filled pie crust.
19. Place half of strips about 3/4" apart across pie.
20. Fold back every other strip from center and place cross strip close to center of pie.
21. Unfold folded strips.
22. Repeat in this manner, working from center of pie to rim, until half of pie is covered in woven pattern.
23. Repeat on other half of pie.
24. Trim ends of strips even with edge of bottom crust.
25. Lift ends of strips and brush edges of bottom crust with water.
26. Press strips gently but firmly against rim. Flute edges.
27. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes.
28. Reduce temperature to 350~ and bake until crust is golden and apples are tender when pierced with thin knife blade, 30 to 40 minutes.
29. Let cool completely on rack.
30. Invert aluminum pie plate over top and secure in place with rubber bands or string, or cover with foil.
31. Pack in picnic basket.