All-American Apple Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 10
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 medium apple, prepared as directed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 pie crust (9-inch)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with vegatable cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, lemon zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
3. Peel, core, and thinly slice apples.
4. Add apples to sugar mixture; stir until coated.
5. Stir in raisins.
6. Spoon into prepared plate.
7. Place piecrust on top of filling. Trim edges, pressing against edge of pan.
8. Using a sharp knife, cut steam vents in piecrust.
9. To glaze, lightly brush piecrust with beaten egg.
10. Sprinkle with sugar.
11. Bake until piecrust is golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes.
12. Place on a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
13. Serve warm.