French Market Doughnuts Recipe
This dough can be kept for up to a week in refrigerator and actually improves with age; just punch down when it rises. Dough can also be frozen; simply thaw, cut and roll, or shape donuts before freezing
Instructions:1. In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water; stir to dissolve.
2. Add sugar, salt, eggs and milk.
3. Blend with beater.
4. Add 4 cups of the flour, beat smooth.
5. Add shortening; beat in remaining flour.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
7. Roll out on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness.
8. Cut into 2 1/2-inch squares.
9. Deep fry at 360 F for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned on each side.
10. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar.
11. Serve hot with cafe au lait.
12. Note: .
14. Tastes like the original!