Eggnog Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- Ice water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 to 4 tbsp brandy or rum, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg if possible, otherwise, ground nutmeg
1. Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a small bowl and then cut in the shortening using a pastry blender.
2. When the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, add about 1/4 cup of ice water and using your hands, but working the dough as little as possible (you want it to stay as cold as possible), mix in the water.
3. Add more water if needed to produce a dough that will hold together in a ball.
4. Roll out to about 1/4-inch and then fold the circle of dough into quarters and place in a 9-inch pie pan.
5. Turn the edges under and, using your thumb and forefinger, press a fluted design into the edge.
6. Using a fork, prick the pastry all over the bottom of the shell and also around the sides.
7. Bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
1. Sprinkle the gelatin over 1/2 cup of the milk, stir it in gently and allow it to soften.
2. In the top portion of a double boiler combine the cornstarch, salt and 3 tablespoons of the sugar and add the rest of the milk and the egg yolks, which have been slightly beaten.
3. Stirring constantly, cook over simmering water until the mixture thickens.
4. Remove from heat, cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
5. Stir the gelatin mixture into the thickened milk mixture.
6. Return to the heat and cook for 5 minutes while you stir constantly.
7. Remove from the heat.
8. Cover and place in the refrigerator to cool until chilled.
9. Beat the egg whites until frothy and add the rest of the sugar as you beat until they become quite firm.
10. Add the brandy or rum (or extracts) to the chilled, thickened milk mixture.
11. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
12. Pour into the cooled pie shell and sprinkle nutmeg on the top.
13. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.