Tortilla Espanola (Potato Omelette) Recipe - Printable Version Serves 6
- 2 lb new potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 yellow onions, sweet
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
1. Leaving the skins on, slice the new potatoes thinly.
2. Peel, split, and slice onions.
3. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil. You need a good quarter inch in your pan.
4. Saute potatoes and onions and garlic on a low flame until the potatoes are soft and the onions are translucent.
5. Remove with a slotted spoon and place the potato mixture in a greased round cake pan, spring form pan, cast iron skillet or terra-cotta baking dish. If you use something small, make two.
6. Season eggs and pour over potatoes.
7. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 F and then start testing.
8. When the middle is set and the top slightly brown, it's done.
9. Let set for 5 minutes, run a knife around the outside and invert onto a round platter.
10. Serve at room temperature.