Krestianskiy Zavtrak (Peasant Breakfast) Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4
- 5 tbsp unsalted (sweet) butter
- 2 cup Pumpernickel bread, preferably German, day old, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 oz bacon, smoky, chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cup smoked kielbasa or bratwurst, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground, black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- Fresh dill, finely chopped
1. Melt 4 tbsp of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Saute the bread cubes in batches until golden brown and crisp.
3. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
4. Wipe out the skillet with paper towels.
5. Fry the bacon, in the skillet, over medium heat until it renders out the fat.
6. Add the onion and saute until it begins to color, about 8 minutes.
7. Add the kielbasa and cook, stirring, until the onion and kielbasa are nicely browned.
8. Melt the remaining 1 tbsp of butter in a medium-size non stick skillet over medium heat.
9. Add one-fourth of the kielbasa mixture and one-fourth of the bread to the skillet and distribute evenly with a wooden spoon.
10. Break 2 eggs into the skillet.
11. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring the whites gently with a thin spatula.
12. When the whites are almost set and the yolks are still liquid, reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and cook for another minute or until the desired doneness is achieved.
13. Slide the hash and eggs onto a plate.
14. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make three more portions.
15. Serve immediately sprinkled with the dill as a garnish.