Egg Croquettes Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, chilled and peeled
- 4 oz mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tsp butter
- 3 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (additional) raw egg
- 1/4 cup (additional) milk
- 1 1/2 cup fine bread or cracker crumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 tsp parsley, finely chopped
1. Chop the eggs and mushrooms until they are the consistency of coarse corn meal.
2. Add the salt and pepper and mix well.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat; stir in the flour.
4. When the mixture is smooth and free of lumps, add the milk and continue to cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and creamy.
5. Add 1/2 cup of the thick cream sauce to the chopped eggs and mushrooms.
6. Reserve the rest of the cream sauce until later.
7. Mix the eggs, mushrooms and cream sauce together well and spread over the bottom of a flat pan.
8. Place in the coldest part of the refrigerator for 1 hour to become firm and solid.
9. When chilled and firm, form the mixture into balls about the size of an egg.
10. Beat the additional raw egg until frothy, add the additional milk; mix well.
11. Dip each ball into the egg-milk mixture and then roll in the bread or cracker crumbs until completely covered.
12. Place the croquettes in the hot oil (375 degrees) and fry until they are a golden brown.
13. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain.
14. Reheat the remainder of the cream sauce over slowly boiling water in a double boiler.
15. Serve the croquettes with a portion of the hot cream sauce.
16. Sprinkle with the minced parsley for added flavor and color.