Doughnuts or Longjohns Recipe - Printable Version Makes 24 doughnuts
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 pks yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp maple flavoring
- 2 tbsp half & half
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1. In a large mixer bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and nutmeg.
2. Mix well.
3. In a sauce pan, heat water, milk and shortening to 120 F.
4. Add to flour mixture.
5. Add egg.
6. Blend at slow speed until well mixed.
7. Beat for 3 minutes at medium speed.
8. By hand gradually add remaining flour to make soft dough.
9. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic.
10. Place in greased bowl and cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
11. Punch down dough and divide into two parts.
12. Roll dough into a 12 x 6-inch rectangle.
13. Cut rectangle into 1-inch strips.
14. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
15. Heat oil to 425 F.
16. Fry each strip until golden brown.
17. Drain on paper toweling.
18. Coat with frosting.
19. To prepare frosting: In a small sauce pan combine butter and brown sugar.
20. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
21. Add maple flavoring and half & half.
22. Stir in enough powdered sugar to make spreadable frosting.