Prassopitta (Leeks in Phyllo Pastry) Recipe
Instructions:1. Clean the leeks, discarding the green parts and leaves; use only the white part . Cut into quarters, then chop into small pieces; place in a strainer and wash under running water for several minutes.
2. Melt the butter in a pot.
3. Add the l eeks, cook until they soften and the water from them has evaporated. Cool.
4. Beat the eggs in a bowl until light.
5. Put the leeks into another bowl, and add the farina, cheese, salt, and pepper; mix well.
6. Butter a pan the size of the p hyllo sheets.
7. Put 4 to 5 sheets of phyllo (reserve 4 for the top) on the botto m of the pan, brushing each with melted butter before adding it.
8. Spread a laye r of leeks on the phyllo and top it with 3 or 4 tbsp of te beathen egg.
9. Spread 2 sheets of phyllo, again brushing each one with butter.
10. Spread in a second l ayer of leeks and top with more egg.
11. Continue layering in the leeks and eggs i n this manner until all are spread in the pan.
12. Spread the last 4 sheets of phy llo carefully over the top layer, brushing each one with butter.
13. Pour any rema ining butter over the top.
14. Score the phyllo with a sharp knife into serving-si ze pieces.
15. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.