Norwegian Heart-Shaped Waffles Recipe
These are the waffles served at the Norwegian Seamen's Church in San Pedro. Arlene McGogy, church secretary, says the waffles are not served for breakfast, but as a dessert with berry jam rather than butter and syrup.
Heart-shaped waffle irons, both manual and electric; are available at Scandinavian shops and some general cookware stores.
Each waffle contains about: 267 calories; 108 mg sodium; 70 mg cholesterol; 7 grams fat; 45 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams protein; 0.09 gram fiber.
Special Equipment: Scandinavian heart-shaped waffle iron (a regular waffle iron can be used too).
Instructions:1. Beat together sugar and eggs.
2. Alternately add flour and buttermilk.
3. Stir in baking soda.
4. Add whipping cream, then margarine.
5. Stir in cardamom.
6. Cook in heart-shaped waffle iron following manufacturer's instructions.
7. Avoid greasing iron; use non-stick cooking spray if necessary.
8. Serve waffles with berry jam.