Gingerbread Waffles Recipe - Printable Version Makes 4 big thick waffles
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup crystalized ginger, chopped
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
1. Combine the molasses, butter and egg yolks and whisk with fork until smooth.
2. Blend in the buttermilk.
3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt into a mixing bowl.
4. Stir in the crystalized ginger.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add the molasses mixture, beating quickly until smooth.
6. Fold in the egg whites.
7. If the batter seems too thick, add a little more buttermilk.
8. Bake in your waffle iron until a dark golden brown.