Crocker Cake Doughnuts Recipe
150 calories per doughnut.
Note: Hot fat cools somewhat when foods are dropped into it. While foods are frying, temperature of fat should be 370F to 380F. If fat is too hot, foods brown before they are cooked through; if too cool, foods become grease-soaked. A deep-fat thermometer is a good investment; checking it helps maintain a constant temperature. Do not use a candy thermometer for deep-fat fiying as it does not register high enough.
Instructions:1. Heat oil (2 to 3 inches) in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 375F. 2. Beat 1.5 cups of the flour and the remaining ingredients in 1.5-quart bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds.
3. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.
4. Stir in remaining flour.
5. Turn the dough onto generously floured cloth-covered board; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
6. Gently roll 3/8 inch thick. Cut with floured doughnut cutter.
7. Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula.
8. Turn doughnuts as they rise to surface.
9. Fry until golden brown, 1 to 1.5 minutes on each side.
10. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surfaces); drain.
11. Serve plain or shake one at a time in a bag with powdered sugar.
1. Do not use self rising flour.
2. Substitute buttermilk for the milk.
3. Decrease baking powder to 2 tsp and beat in 1 tsp baking soda.