Buttermilk Sourdough Pancakes or Waffles Recipe
These are by far the lightest pancakes I've ever encountered. For the lightest tastiest waffles you'll ever eat, use this same batter and follow the directions for your waffle iron.
Instructions:1. Combine the flours and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
2. Warm the buttermilk and blend it in.
3. Blend the sourdough starter into the flour/buttermilk mixture.
4. Let this work for at least 2 hours but its best and actually easier if you make it up the night before serving and let it work overnight.
5. Beat the egg whites, salt and baking soda together until light.
6. Blend this mixture into the sponge. The batter should be quite thin, if it is too thick add another egg white.
7. Drop by the spoonful, large or small, onto a moderately hot teflon griddle and cook until large bubbles begin to appear.
8. Flip them over and cook until the other side is brown.