Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4
- 1 cup flour (whole wheat is great)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pn salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp to 3 tbsp bacon grease
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
1. Mix up all the dry stuff.
2. Add the egg yolk and bacon grease to the buttermilk and stir it up before adding to the flour mixture.
3. Just fold it in enough to get the flour wet.
4. Fold in the beaten egg white and cook over a hot griddle.
5. This recipe is just a guideline and you don't have to use as much of anything that you don't want to use. The real key to having them light is to beat the egg white and fold it in.
6. The batter keeps well in the fridge if you don't use it all the first day and if you let it sit out, makes a nice sourdough starter.
7. Eat them with blackberry jam instead of syrup, and butter isn't necessary.