Christmas Tree Loaves: Klippta Kransa Recipe
Instructions:3. Soften yeast in warm water.
4. Melt butter in hot scalded milk in large bowl.
5. Cool to lukewarm.
6. Stir in sugar, eggs, salt and cardamom (if desired) and softened yeast.
7. Add gradually 6 to 7 cups flour to make a stiff dough.
8. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes.
9. Place in greased bowl and cover.
10. Let rise in warm place (85 degrees to 90 degrees) until light and doubled in size, 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours.
11. Punch down dough; cover.
12. Let rise in warm place for 30 minutes.
13. Combine sugar, 1/2 cups nuts, chopped, and 4 teaspoons cinnamon.
14. Melt butter and set aside.
15. Divide dough into 3 parts.
16. Roll out 1 part on floured surface to a triangle 15 inches at the base, 10 inches high and 1/4 inch thick; shape with hands and rolling pin.
17. Brush generously with melted butter.
18. Sprinkle with 1/3 of sugar mixture.
19. Roll up triangle, starting with one of the bottom corners and rolling along the base to form a triangle-shaped roll.
20. Place on greased baking sheet.
21. Flatten triangle.
22. Cut deep gashes at 3/4 inch intervals down each side almost to center.
23. Stretch and fold each cut section back on its side to form a "branch" .
24. Cut off bottom "branch" on each side to form "base" of tree.
26. Repeat with remaining dough.
27. Let rise in warm place until light, 30 to 45 minutes.
28. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 20 to 25 minutes.
29. Frost with vanilla glaze.
30. Decorate "branches" with red and green cherries or French's Colored Sugars and Funsten's Nuts.