Christmas Tree Coffee Cake Recipe
Instructions:1. Soften yeast in lukewarm water (use warm water for dry yeast).
3. Pour scalded milk over sugar, salt and butter.
4. Cool to lukewarm.
5. Stir in 1 cup flour and eggs.
6. Add softened yeast and oats.
7. Combine 1/4 cup flour and candied fruits; stir to coat fruits evenly with flour.
8. Add to dough; mix well.
9. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
10. Turn out on lightly floured board or canvas; knead until smooth and satiny, about 10 minutes.
11. Round dough into ball; place in greased bowl; brush lightly with melted shortening.
12. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size, for about 1 hour.
13. Punch dough down; cover; let rest 10 minutes.
14. Divide dough in half.
15. From one half, pinch off 17 pieces of dough; shape to form balls.
16. Arrange balls in the shape of a Christmas tree on greased cooky sheet.
17. Brush lightly with melted butter.
18. Repeat with other half of dough.
19. Cover; let rise in warm place until nearly double in size, about 1 hour.
20. Bake in preheated moderate oven (375 F) for about 20 minutes.
22. Decorate with confectioners' sugar frosting and candied citron.