Christmas Stollen (Quick-bread Variety) Recipe
Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 350 F. 2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, mace, and crushed cardamon seeds.
3. Stir in the ground almonds.
4. Cut in the soft butter until the mixture looks something like coarse sand.
5. In a blender, cream the egg with the cream cheese, vanilla, almond extract, and brandy.
6. Pour it into a bowl and stir in the dried fruit.
7. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until everything is well blended.
8. Work the dough into a ball and turn it out on a lightly floured board.
9. Knead it for a few minutes until it is smooth, then place it in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
10. (You can store the dough in the refrigerator for several days, then take it out to bake when ever you like.
11. Shape the dough into a flat, oval loaf, about 10 inches long and 8 inches wide.
12. With the blunt edge of a knife, crease the loaf about 1/2 inch off center, down the length of it.
13. Fold the smaller side of the creased loaf over the wider side.
14. Brush the top of the folded loaf with the melted butter.
15. Place the stollen loaf on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, until it starts to turn brown on the outside.
16. Remove and allow to cool a little bit.
17. Dust lightly with powdered sugar.