Christmas Log (Buche De Noel) Recipe
Instructions:1. Beat eggs until foamy.
2. Gradually add sugar, salt and vanilla.
3. Continue beating until very thick and ivory colored. Do not underbeat.
4. Fold in flour, one-fourth at a time.
5. Fold gently but thoroughly after each addition.
6. Pour into 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan, well greased on the bottom, lined with waxed paper, then greased again.
7. Bake in moderate oven (350 F) 18 to 22 minutes.
8. Turn out immediately on towel sprinkled with confectioners' sugar.
9. Remove paper.
10. Roll in towel, starting from 15-inch side; cool.
11. Unroll and spread Chocolate Butter Cream down center.
12. Bring 15-inch sides together so they just meet.
13. Place seam-side down on serving plate; chill.
14. Cover with Chocolate Frosting.
15. Draw tines of fork lengthwise through frosting to resemble bark.
16. If desired, garnish with candied cherries or Funsten's Nuts.
Chocolate Butter Cream: 1. Combine sugar and cornstarch in saucepan.
2. Add eggs or egg yolks.
3. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Stir in milk; cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until thick.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Blend in melted chocolate; mix well.
7. Cool to lukewarm.
8. Blend in well-creamed butter and vanilla.
9. Chill thoroughly.