Mousseline Au Chocolat Recipe
Instructions:1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until the mixture is thick, pale yellow and falls back upon itself forming a slowly dissolving ribbon.
2. Beat in the orange liqueur.
3. Set mixing bowl over near-simmering water and continue beating for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture is foamy and too hot to touch.
4. Then beat over cold water for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture is cool and again forms the ribbon. It will have the consistency of mayonnaise.
5. Melt the chocolate with coffee over hot water.
6. Remove from heat and beat in the butter a bit at a time, to make a smooth cream.
7. Beat the chocolate into the egg yolks and sugar, then beat in the optional orange peel.
8. Beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks are formed. Sprinkle on the sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
10. Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
11. Fold in the rest.
12. Turn into serving dish, dessert cups or petits pots.
13. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
14. Pass the sauce or whipped cream separately.