Great American Boston Cream Pie (Cake) Recipe
Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9" round cake pan and line with waxed paper.
2. Beat together egg yolks and vanilla at medium speed until blended.
3. Beat in half of the sugar until very thick and pale.
4. Using clean, dry beaters, beat together egg whites and salt at medium speed until very soft peaks form.
5. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff, but not dry peaks form.
6. Fold yolk mixture into egg whites.
7. Sift flour over mixture; fold in gently.
8. Do not overmix.
9. Pour batter in prepared pan.
10. Bake cake until top springs back when lightly pressed, about 25 min Lossen cake by running a metal spatula around sides of pan.
11. Invert cake onto wire rack.
12. Remove pan, leaving waxed paper on cake.
13. Turn cake right side up.
14. Cool completely on rack.
Filling: 15. Mix together sugar and flour in saucepan.
16. Gradually whisk in milk, then egg yolks, vanilla and salt.
17. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 1 min, whisking constantly.
18. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl.
19. Press plastic wrap on the surface.
20. Chill for 30 min Using a serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in half.
21. Carefully remove waxed paper.
22. Place bottom layer on serving plate.
23. Spread evenly with filling.
24. Top with remaining cake layer.
25. Bring sugar, corn syrup and water to a boil over low heat.
26. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved.
27. Remove from heat.
28. Add chocolate; let stand for 1 minute.
29. Whisk until smooth.
30. Gradually pour glaze over cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.
31. Let stand until glaze sets.
32. Be sure to store this cream piecake in the refrigerator.