Double Chocolate Cake Doughnuts Recipe - Printable Version Makes 30 doughnuts
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp water, or more, as needed
1. Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
2. Beat the sugar and eggs together until creamy and lemon colored.
3. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring every few seconds.
4. Beat into the sugar and egg mixture.
5. Add the vanilla and buttermilk.
6. Mix well.
7. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
8. Add slowly to the liquid mixture.
9. Divide the dough in half.
10. Chill, preferably overnight, to make it easier to handle.
11. Roll out one half of the dough on a lightly floured board to about a 1/2-inch thickness.
12. Cut into doughnuts.
13. Allow the cut doughnuts to stand for 10 minutes.
14. Heat 2 inches of oil to 370 F in a large skillet. An electric skillet is perfect if it has a temperature control.
15. The doughnuts should be at room temperature before frying.
16. Dip a metal pancake turner or slotted spoon into the hot oil before using it to add or turn a doughnut.
17. Transfer the doughnuts to the skillet, one every 15 seconds.
18. Fry each doughnut for about 90 seconds per side.
19. Remove the doughnuts and drain on paper toweling or on a rack placed on a cookie sheet.
20. Repeat with the remaining batter.
24. For icing: Prepare the icing by beating all the ingredients together.
25. If the icing is too stiff add additional water, one or two drops at a time.
26. Beat until smooth.
27. Spread onto the doughnuts after they have cooled.