Chocolate Mousse Flowerpot Recipe
Instructions:For Creme Anglaise:
1. Bring milk and cream to boil in heavy saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, beat egg yolks and sugar in mixer, until pale yellow and forms a ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 7 minutes.
3. Slowly pour 1 cup of hot liquid into yolks, beating constantly.
4. Transfer yolk mixture to milk and cream in saucepan and stir constantly over medium-low heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. DO NOT BOIL.
6. Strain into a large bowl set into a larger bowl of ice water and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
7. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
8. Heat sugar and water in heavy saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally and brushing down any crystals from sides 2of pan with brush dipped in cold water.
9. Increase heat and boil until mixture registers 240 F (soft ball stage) on a candy thermometer.
10. Meanwhile, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
11. Slowly pour in hot syrup, beating until mixture is cool, about 5 minutes Gently fold in whipped cream, cocoa, melted chocolate and espresso.
12. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
For Chocolate Flowers:
13. Line a jelly roll pan with waxed paper.
14. Melt chocolate with corn syrup, stirring until smooth.
15. Pour into prepared pan and spread with metal spatula to thickness of 1/4 inch.
16. Cool to room temperature.
17. Transfer paper with chocolate to work surface.
18. Place second sheet of waxed paper over chocolate.
19. Roll chocolate to 1/8 inch thickness.
20. Cut into twenty 1-inch rounds with a cookie cutter.
21. Roll 1 chocolate round into tight funnel shape for center of flower.
22. Gather 3 more rounds around center, forming petals.
23. Squeeze together at base.
24. Place on a waxed paper-lined plate.
25. Repeat with remaining chocolate, forming 5 flowers.
26. Refrigerate until flowers are firm.
27. Divide creme anglaise among five 2 cup cachepots or other porcelain dishes shaped like a flowerpot.
28. Top with chocolate mousse, mounding slightly in center.
29. Set chocolate flower atop each (to anchor flowers more securely, place on lollipop sticks, then insert in mousse.
30. Refrigerate until 20 minutes before serving.
31. Each flowerpot makes two servings.