Chinese Pancakes Recipe
Instructions:1. Put the flour into a large bowl.
2. Stir the hot water gradually into the flour, mixing all the while with chopsticks or a fork until the water is fully incorporated.
3. Add more water if the mixture seems dry.
4. Remove the mixture from the bowl and knead it with your hands until smooth.
5. This should take about 8 minutes.
6. Put the dough back into the bowl, cover it with a clean, damp towel and let it rest for about 30 seconds.
7. After the resting period, take the dough out of the bowl and knead it again for about 5 minutes, dusting with a little flour if it is sticky.
8. Once the dough is smooth, form it into a roll about 18 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.
9. Take a knife and cut the roll into equal segments.
10. There should be about 18. Roll each segment into a ball.
11. Take two of the dough balls, dip one side of one ball into the sesame oil and place the oiled side on top of the other ball.
12. Take a rolling pin, and roll the two together into a circle about 6 inches in diameter.
13. It is important to roll double pancakes in this way because the resulting dough will remain moist inside and you will be able to roll them thinner but avoid the risk of overcooking them later.
14. Heat a skillet or wok over a very low heat.
15. Put the double pancake into the wok or pan and cook it until it has dried on one side.
16. Flip it over and cook the other side.
17. Remove from the pan, peel the pancakes apart and set them aside.
18. Repeat this process until all the dough balls have been cooked.
19. Steam the pancakes to reheat them, or you can wrap them tightly in a double sheet of foil and put them into a pan containing 1 inch of boiling water.