Carthusian Dumplings Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4
- 4 stale, hard kaiser rolls
- 1 egg
- 1 cup and 1 tbsp milk
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp to 1 pk vanilla sugar, to taste
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Shape the rolls into dumplings by rubbing the crust off on all sides.
2. Put these dumplings into a mixture of egg yolk, milk, lemon peel, and sugar.
3. Once they have absorbed the liquid all the way through, gently squeeze out excess liquid by hand.
4. Whisk the egg white and water, then dip the dumplings in this mixture. Roll them in breadcrumbs.
5. Deep fry in fat until golden brown, then roll in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.