Beignets Recipe - Printable Version Makes 36 beignets
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 pk yeast
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Powdered sugar
1. Mix all ingredients except oil and powdered sugar.
2. Knead and let rise until doubled.
3. Punch down.
4. Roll into rectangle.
5. Cut dough into into 2-inch wide strips at a diagonal.
6. Cut again diagonally to form diamonds.
7. Place on ungreased baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
8. Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
9. Gather up scraps and let rest for 15 minutes.
10. Roll and cut as before.
11. Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
12. In a large saucepan, heat 3 inches of oil to 365 F.
13. Carefully slide beignets into hot oil 3 to 4 at a time. Do not crowd.
14. Fry until puffy and golden brown on both sides, turning once with tongs. Should take about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
15. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
16. Sift powdered sugar over hot beignets and serve hot.