Basic English Muffins Recipe
1. In large bowl of mixer stir together 2 cups flour, the sugar, salt and dry yeast; set aside.
1. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm.
2. Add gradually to yeast-flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Add egg and 1 cup flour; beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in just enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
5. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, adding more remaining flour if dough is sticky.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm, draft-free place until double, about 1 hour.
7. Punch down.
8. Cover and let rise again until double, about 45 minutes.
9. Punch down.
10. On lightly floured surface roll out 1/2 inch thick.
11. With a 3 1/4-inch round cutter cut out muffins.
12. Sprinkle cookie sheets lightly with cornmeal.
13. Add muffins, about 1 inch apart.
14. Sprinkle with additional cornmeal.
15. Cover; let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
16. Heat lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet.
17. With wide spatula carefully remove muffins (do not compress or puncture or they will collapse) to griddle.
18. Bake over very low heat for 8 to 10 minutes on each side until light brown (muffins should sound hollow when tapped).
19. Cool on racks.
20. To serve, split with fork tines; toast.